Friday, March 6, 2009

Ode to Laura

A history lesson.

Laura is my friend. She moved into my ward in Merrie Miss A (a sunday school class). We can just say we didn't hit it off just right then. hehehe. But as we grew oldeAdd Videor, we became friends - just church friends and such. When highschool came around, Laura and I started to hang out a little more and more.

One day in highschool, I went with my best friend and 3 other really good friends and sluffed class. On the way back, we were broadsided by a Semi-trailer. It killed my 2 best friends and put the other 2 in coma's. I walked away with a broken collar bone. Somehow I didn't get knocked out and so I saw the whole thing happen. I don't want to get into details about that, but lets just say I was slightly traumatized.

Laura became my angel. I don't know why, but somehow she swooped in and automatically knew how to help me. I was a pretty shy girl up to this point. So the friends that died, were actually some of my ONLY friends. When I got back to school, I remember feeling like an alien. Everyone stared, no one knew what to say, etc. Laura became protective of me. I think about this stuff now and tears come to my eyes. Heaven sent.


The way a teenage girl, who is already going through the turmoils of adolescence, deals with such an event as the deaths of her best friends is interesting. Laura was right along there with me. She let me be weird, obsessive, sad and happy without ever getting in the way and telling me how I should feel. Without her - I know I would have been so lost.
I do want to point out that my family was AWESOME during that time. I love them.

Another event when Laura has been my angel, was when I was dating a jerk. I started dating a guy in highschool and continued on and off for quite some time. I became a different person. I gave in to his manipulating ways. Laura saw things that I never allowed myself too. She even got in a fight with him once. :) Laura was there EVERY time to pick up the pieces. I don't want to go into too much detail about this relationship - because I don't want to waste any more time on it.

Now, she and I are still best friends. Its been over a decade that she has been my angel. We have completely different lives: she is married, stay at home mom with 2 cute kids and lives in St. George while I am single, fear marriage, have a career and live in Northern Utah. Yet she is still the one that I confide everything to. What a blessing! :)
Laura has had some trials too. After they were married, they had a child - Laura was on bed rest for 3 months of the pregnancy. Then afterwards she had failed pregnancy after failed pregnancy. They even had a baby and lost it at birth - little Anna Bella. Laura and her hub decided to adopt, and they adopted the cutest little girl named Ava. They are now trying to add to their family and have put papers in for another adoption. Honestly all Laura wants to be is a mom. She lives for her babies. And she is so cute. She and her hub have the best relationship and they along with some others make me think that maybe marriage isn't so bad.... :)




I just recently put her family picture with a link attached to it that would send you to their adoption profile.

I know this post is a little cheesy, but when I think of my Matilda (Laura), I get tears in my eyes and my heart is full. Love you chica!






7 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! I was so surprised to see this. It made me cry. I am so lucky to have you for a best friend. I hope you know that I feel the SAME about you. You have always been there for me! That's what makes our friendship awesome....we can both be living different lives but still be best friends. Thanks for posting a link to our adoption profile. I love you Girl!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your post made me cry, in a good way...I think you are one of the most amazing people I know. You have such great ambition, and I never knew that was the way you felt after the accident so many years ago. I think of you all the time, around this time of year, because of the accident happening on Feb. 28th. I am so glad you have a friend like Laura, what a fabulous friend. I always enjoy reading your blog, and don't ever forget there is a purpose in all you do, and a reason you are here and Sarah and Jenny aren't, but for now we have faith in what we have here on the earth. I think of you as my long lost little sister in the wings. You are wonderful, sorry for such a long comment. Have a great day!!!!
Liz

Karen said...

I remember when that accident happened. We were all here and you were all there ... but your family here was very aware of it and kept you in our thoughts and prayers during that time. I'm so sorry you had to endure such a tragic loss, but you've handled it well and you've made your life worth something, possibly in their behalf. I don't have many friends either, but I have one that has stayed at my ugly side for many, many years now. It's good to have one like that. I hope you both find what you are looking for in this little life, because you clearly both deserve it.

Becky said...

What a sweet tribute to Laura...it's good to have a friend like that who can be your rock.
Love ya, sis!

Anonymous said...

Staci, You don't know me, but I am a friend of Laura's in S.G. I agree she is Heaven sent. And I hear your pretty awesome too:)
Tracee Schneiter

Nancy said...

Staci, You've always been a true blue friend to those you love.

Anonymous said...

You are the coolest chick I know... and you impress me more each day... I like you tons... :)