Friday, June 6, 2008

Magical

I just got done reading an autobiography about a horse-trainer. I loved it, and it made me once again realize how much I love horses and how much they affect my life for the better. I belive there is a spiritual connection between them and a human, if people let it happen. In college, I wrote many research papers about the use of horses in therapy. Horses are used in physical therapy for kids and people with cerebal palsy, autism and other physical and mental disabilities.


They are also used in psycho-therapy. When I did my research I found a place in Park City that worked with at-risk teens. They would get a group of them and would have to learn how to handle the horse. The leader of that group said that the horse would always mirror the teens personality. There are also prisons that allow inmates to train wild horses that are captured. And the statistics have shown that of the inmates that are allowed to train, only 1 out 10 are re-arrested vs other inmates which is like 1 out of 3 or something (don't quote me on the exact numbers).




ANYWAY.....what I'm getting at is that I love horses!! We've had horses all my life and its been great! There are certain times in my life that I can pin point how they have helped me. There is a power about them that can soothe a soul and its addicting! When I got home from my mission 4 years ago, I had problems with depression and anxiety, and my dad would always tell me to go work with the horses when I was feeling that way and when i followed his advice, it felt like the horses were somehow sucking the venom out of me that was making me depressed.



Once I'm riding, brushing, touching or even watching a horse, I am a truly happy person. All the stress about work, dating, money, or just anything disappears and I am able to relax and just be.

My favorite quote from the book I just read is:

"There is something magical about a girl and her horse." - Buck Branaman



4 comments:

Karen said...

Very nice Staci. Gary's daughter in Arkansas has Cerebral Palsy. Gary's mom has taken her to horse therapy for years and has watched her benefit a great deal from it. It's nice when you find that connection in something.

Becky said...

I am a little scared of horses...sad, since I have been around them my whole life! And used to ride all the time. But now, they just seem so big.

Mrs. Bennett said...

i agree with becky. I'm a little scared. but i know that is because I haven't put forth any effort to ride or get to know them lately. Jasper loves them!

Mike and Melanie said...

That is really cool Staci! Makes me want to go ride a horse... My little sister just broke her foot from falling off of a horse, but I don't think that was the horses fault... Thanks for sharing this!