Time is a strange thing.
13 years ago today,I was a sophomore in highschool. 4 of my highschool buddies and I decided to sluff our first class of the day. One of those buddies was my best friend Jenny. She has just broke up with some guy the night before and came to school crying that morning. So we decided to sluff. We were just planning to sluff at the school library because neither of us had cars since I had just turned 16 and Jenny was still 15. Then we decided to leave and hunted down someone who did have a car which is how we got 3 other people to come.
Its funny how a day from 14 years ago in my life still can seem like yesterday and I can remember every event that happened.
When I was in Jr. High, I was a very shy, awkward girl that had very nerdy tendencies and only opened up to a few people. I've never been someone that is surrounded by lots of girlfriends. I've always just had one or two good close friends. Jenny was the opposite of me. She was social, athletic, outgoing and so friendly. She kind of took me under her wing and I was able to open up to her and be my weird self. :) We were best friends. Inseparable for the next few years. We would talk on the phone every night for hours - about what? Stupid stuff!!

We used to talk about what if one of us died and what we would do. We'd end up crying on the phone saying that we'd miss each other. Little did we know that those talks were our goodbye.
The morning we decided to sluff, the 5 of us crammed ourselves into a 1990 Geo Prizm, went and gorged ourselves with scones and chatted. When it was time to leave, we all crammed ourselves into the car again - Jenny made me switch places with her in the car for some reason. My friend who was driving, started the car, we were all laughing and teasing each other, when we pulled out in front of a Semi which broadsided us going 45 mph. My best friend Jenny and really good other friend Sarah died. The two others were lifelighted to hospitals and in comas. I simply walked away with a broken collarbone. And a broken heart.
Although its been so long, and my heart has healed, I still think of my Jenny everyday. She has always played a prominent role in my life. I always have tried to make my life worth it. Because she switched me seats. If she hadn't, she would be alive and I would be dead. So I better make my life worth it. Right? :)
I have a lot of dreams with her. Where we are just sitting and talking. I tell her about my life and she tells me about why she had to go. Isn't it weird kinda that I still have dreams like this?
She is more present in my life when I am facing certain challenges. Whether it is really her or not - she still brings me peace. The thought of her and who she was, who she is and what she teaches me reminds me that even on my most crappy day, I'm never really alone.
One of the last things Jenny said before she died was "I seriously wish that song Secret Garden comes on the radio..."
She'll let you in her house
If you come knockin' late at night
She'll let you in her mouth
If the words you say are right
She'll let you deep inside
But there's a secret garden she hides
She'll let you in her car
She'll let you into the parts of herself
She'll let you in her heart
If you got a hammer and a vise
But into her secret garden, don't think twice
You've gone a million miles
To that place where you can't remember
She'll lead you down a path
There'll be tenderness in the air
She'll let you come just far enough
So you know she's really there
Then she'll look at you and smile
She's got a secret garden
Where everything you want
Where everything you need
A million miles away
Sarah was also a very loving, carefree, happy friend who taught me a lot.
9 comments:
I love you! I know that Jenny and Sarah would be proud of you and all that you have accomplished so far in your life. You are so amazing and such a good example to me.
I have been thinking about this day a lot lately. I told Mark this morning I can't believe that it has already been 13 years. I think I can remember everything I did that day as well, I am so thankful for the many things I have learned since then. You are such an amazing woman Staci and I have always looked up to you. I love you tons! Take care.
I love you! You are strong.
Wow. I had no idea. Well, you've certainly been an influence for good in my life. I've always thought highly of you, you know that. Love you lots!
We love you and are so glad you're a part of our lives!! xoxoxox
Wow..thank you for sharing that...I know I am a little late at reading this, but I love it that you blogged about it. I never knew that Jenny asked or told you to switch her places in the car that day. I love you, you are such an awesome person!!!
Staci, I'm friends with Liz.... she called me up on the phone today and told me had I had to come read your blog. Indirectly, I have been affected by Sarah's story and now a bit of Jenny's story.... your story. That song is a great song. I actually went and played it right away. Thank you for sharing. Melissa
I'm so glad you told this story, It's hard sometimes I hardly remember her, but this story helped me remember her :)
Thank you for sharing something so tender. What a gift she ultimately gave you, life. I could see how you'd always want to make the most of it.
Post a Comment