The house I bought has 5 - I repeat 5 fruit trees in the back yard. The back yard isn't even that big. Its only 0.15 of an acre. There are 2 apple trees, 2 cherry trees and 1 apricot tree.
Growing up, we had 2 cherry trees in the front yard that would make a giant mess. As kids, every few mornings, my mom would send us out to do the dreaded job of cleaning up.
Any other chore was better than cleaning up the cherries. They were mushy, and stinky and everywhere! It would take hours to get them all off the ground, only to have a newly fallen batch on the ground just a few days later.
My younger sister and I got smarter as the years went on and finally started using the shop vac to clean them up. The neighbors would look out their windows to see us vacuuming our lawn.
So the question I am asking is..... should i cut down the trees and replant ones that don't make a mess? I'll have a dog and I don't want her tracking in messy fruit remains all over my newly carpeted house.
The Wyoming Woodticks. P. 1
12 years ago

7 comments:
I would say cut and replant.
I would love to have fruit trees, but I've never had them, so I don't know first hand about the mess. Maybe you could just cut the cherry one and use the fruit from the other trees to sell or can??
I say cut down everything but the Apple tree. Apple trees seem to make less of a mess. It is your house and do what you want.
Cut for sure, who wants to have to worry about a mess. Plant something that you don't have to worry about.
Do it! Keep the apple trees though!
Sad... One day you will be constipated and will wish you had cherries... :)
I remember helping you pick up those cherries! That is exactly why I have told my husband that we are NOT having fruit trees each time we've landscaped a new backyard!
Post a Comment